3 Ways to Write Great Nursing Application Essays
A career in nursing can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. You get to make a difference in patients’ lives every time you go to work. You can inspire others to continue striving forward when they have given up. You can even help bring people back from the edge of death! But first, you have to get accepted into nursing school. Most nursing programs require applicants to submit an essay as part of the application process. This essay is intended to show why the individual is worthy of joining the nursing profession, so it is crucial that it is well-written. There are 3 ways you can ensure your essay is one of the best.
- Showcase Your Dedication to Service. Nursing programs want candidates that show initiative, competence, and compassion. You can demonstrate these with your essay by giving examples of how you are proactive in helping others; your dedication to helping others; and your willingness to serve your community. For instance, if you have helped to organize a canned-food drive, or work at a soup kitchen, you would want to discuss these in your essay. Nursing is a service-based profession, so you want to focus on your service-based accomplishments. You get to talk about your academic accomplishments in a different part of the application.
- Tell Your Story. Nursing schools want to know that they are accepting candidates that have great potential to make a difference. You can show your ability to do so by telling your personal story. Write about significant events that led to your decision to apply for nursing school. If you had a person who inspired you, talk about his/her influence. You want to show the admissions board that you are the perfect candidate, so talk about your motivation and drive. This will help them see that you are exactly the type of student they are seeking.
- Proofread Before You Submit. Nursing schools are highly competitive, and they often have waiting lists for entrance. You can help bypass the waiting list by taking the time to make sure your essay is free from errors. This adds the fishing touches to your essay, and shows attention to detail (a necessary skill for a nurse). You may have an amazing story to tell, but if your essay is filled with errors, it becomes difficult to read, which may result in you being wait-listed.
The nursing school admission essay is an essential part of the application process. It gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your merit and share your story. If you follow these 3 simple tips, you can write an admissions essay that will help you earn a spot in the nursing program of your choice.
The Nursing School Essay: Application Tips for Accelerated Nursing Programs
By Northeastern University Nursing | Published November 5, 2014
In this two part series, Northeastern University brings you application tips for accelerated nursing programs, starting with nursing school essay advice. While not a guaranteed acceptance, following this advice is a great start to a strong application.
Part I: How to Write an Effective Nursing School Essay
When applying for accelerated nursing programs in Boston, some of the best advice for getting into accelerated nursing school we can give you is to know what to expect in the nursing program application processes. Prerequisites, fees and other procedures are included as general admissions requirements, but the application process consists of various components that look beyond academic performance summarized through transcripts and into who the student applying is and why they wish to attend the program. The admissions committee looks through the applicant’s resume, letter of recommendation and personal statement to get a closer look at an applicant. Many nursing schools in Massachusetts require a nursing school essay that the applicant includes about themselves with details like why they would like to be nurse and why they are a good candidate for the nursing program. This allows the school’s admissions committee to get to know you as a potential student and find out what drives you as an individual. It also helps the admissions committee determine whether their nursing school will be a good fit for you as a future nurse and whether you will be a fit for the school.
1. Plan Your Essay
Writing a good nursing school essay is very important to getting your application considered and accepted. To do this effectively, you should spend a good deal of time planning your accelerated nursing school application essay. Highlight the items you want to include in your essay, summarize your personal story and incorporate your qualifications. Start your essay with an attention grabbing first topic statement to start your essay out strong. You want to let the reader get an idea of who you are and what nursing means to you. So plan out what it is you want to include and elaborate from there. Create an outline to work from that includes the below items.
2. Make Yourself Stand Out
Effective nursing school essays express your personality while convincing the reader you are the right candidate for the program. A great way to do this is by sharing a story about yourself or an experience that you had that led you to the decision to apply for nursing school or launched your desire to be a nurse. You want to use your essay as a tool to show why you should go to their school, versus simply stating why you want to go there. Use personal examples to make your essay more candid and attention getting. Share your motivation for wanting to attend that program and what inspires you.
3. Share Your Dreams
Getting into a good accelerated nursing school and earning your degree is essential in making your dreams of becoming a successful nurse come true. Your personal statement should include the long-term goals you have for you career in nursing. If your goal is to help children or if you wish to advance your degree to become a specialty nurse, express this. Admissions committees are interested in hearing what your long-term goals are; goals illustrate that potential students are determined, which can lead to a better performance in school. Be as specific as you can with your goals. Check out our tips on setting education goals for your nursing degree program for some additional help.
4. Show that You Care about People
As a nurse, your job will consist of caring for people around the clock in a positive and friendly way while efficiently taking care of their healthcare needs. It takes a certain type of selfless person to become a nurse, and you want to show you that you are that kind of person. Give examples of times when you went above and beyond to care for a loved one or a stranger. Let the committee know that you are passionate about caring for others. Empathy in nursing is a great quality to have.
5. Explain Your Qualifications
Your academic and work qualifications are recorded for review on your transcripts, test scores and resume. However, those qualifications are only listed and don’t go into detail, which means the admissions committee may not understand what you took out of those experiences. Use the essay as an opportunity to go into more detail about what your education, practice and participation in volunteer opportunities or internships taught you that you can apply to your education at the nursing school. If you are looking for ways to beef up your resume and nursing application with experience, look into these volunteer opportunities in health care in Boston.
6. Tell the Admissions Committee Why You Want to go to Their School
For some applicants, simply getting into a good nursing school is the most important factor. For others, going to a specific nursing school, such as Northeastern University Bouvé College of Health Science, is very important to them. Whatever your reason for applying to that specific nursing school is, you want to include those reasons in your essay. Share stories about your mother who was a graduate of that program or a friend who suggested you go there. They will want to know why you chose them when they are deciding whether to accept you as a student.
By following these nursing school essay application tips for accelerated nursing school on how to write an exceptional nursing essay, you will be getting into the nursing school of your dreams in no time. If you have decided that you want to pursue your degree with one of the Northeastern University accelerated nursing programs, call us today at 1.866.892.3819 or send us your information so we can contact you.